On a Sunday afternoon in the fall of 1894, Rev. H.L. Booth met with about 30 people to establish a church. “The Flea Hop,” so named for the fleas under the building, was rented for this initial endeavor. Eventually, the group followed the mills to Colbert County and back to Sweetwater Avenue in Florence where the church was named St. James because that was the mill manager’s wife's favorite book in the Bible .
The congregation on Sweetwater Avenue grew and was an asset to East Florence. However, in 1987, the church was told the back parking lot would be compromised by a new road, and so an odyssey began as St. James moved from one building to another. As one building was sold the church would move, only to have that building also sold. Finally, with help from the North Alabama Conference and great personal sacrifice of her members, the church purchased land on Cox Creek Parkway. The first service at that location was Sunday, March 5, 1988. Now, more than 25 years later, God continues to bless this congregation.
It is the desire of this church to continue being a beacon of Christ in Florence.